We at TCR wish all our readers a great holiday season and an even better New Year.
It will be a year of challenges for Conservatives. We will have to work harder than the other side if we want to win in November.
In The Poker Game Of Tax Reform,
The Democrats Are All In With No,
Who Is Wrong?
The Democrats were united in opposing the Trump Tax Reform plan. They have demonized it along with their allies in the left-wing media to make it appear to be bad for the economy and the country. So they are all-in as naysayers.
But here is their problem, and our opportunity if it does help the economy. By next November the voters will know the Democrats and their media allies lied to them, and will hopefully vote Republican.
We will see.
Trump In Year One
On Further Review, Not Too Shabby
With all the abuse heaped on President Trump by the left-wing major media and the knee-jerk Democrats, who can only say no, it is important to review the President's accomplishments. When we did, we were AMAZED.
Here are some of the highlights:
TCR's Next Five Endorsements
- Passage of the tax reform bill, providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate
- Increase of the GDP above 3 percent
- Creation of 1.7 million new jobs, cutting unemployment to 4.1 percent
- Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one created. Instead, cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion
- Directed the rebuilding of the military and ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review
- Worked to increase defense spending
- Empowered military leaders to "seize the initiative and win," reducing the need for a White House sign off on every mission
- Saw ISIS lose virtually all of its territory
- Pushed for strong action against global outlaw North Korea and its development of nuclear weapons
- Approved a new Iran strategy plan focused on neutralizing the country's influence in the region
- Trump won the release of Americans held abroad, often using his personal relationships with world leaders
- Made good on a campaign promise to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars
- Added nearly 100 new immigration judges
- Illegal immigration down as arrests at the border are down 24% since last year and the lowest since 1971. Illegals got the word and aren't coming
- Homeland rounded up nearly 800 MS-13 members, an 83 percent one-year increase
- Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court
- The President declared a Nationwide Public Health Emergency on Opioids
For the last few months we at TCR have been interviewing scores of candidates. We are impressed with the quality, diversity and significant amount of next generation candidates.
As we have for over a decade, we endorse the best and brightest, and tell you why. There is no quid pro quo, as our endorsements were given freely. We will as always publish an election guide, where advertising is open to all, but required of none.
Our next five:
United States Senate - Ted Cruz
Senator Ted Cruz has been a conservative vote in the U.S. Senate, but more important than his vote is his leadership on conservative issues. This firebrand has led the way on issues, even when they are not popular and has continued to bring innovative solutions to our most pressing problems. For example his proposed Student Opportunity Amendment, which would expand the 529 program to allow parents to use their 529 savings dollars for both higher education as well as for K-12 schools, is an example of the kind of common-sense, outside the box thinking that is all too often absent inside Washington's Beltway. For as long as Cruz remains conservative and effective, TCR will continue our enthusiastic support for Senator Ted Cruz against all challengers.
First Court of Appeals, Place 7 - Terry Yates
Terry Yates has not only the experience needed for the Court of Appeals - 27 years as an attorney, prosecutor and judge - but also demonstrated conservative credentials in cases such as David Daleiden's in which he helped secure an acquittal after Daleiden blew the whistle on Planned Parenthood. It is cases such as these that have earned Yates media coverage from the likes of ESPN, Fox News and 48 Hours. Yates is the experienced, conservative and battle-tested candidate we need on the First Court of Appeals.
Texas Railroad Commissioner - Christi Craddick
Since taking her place on the Texas Railroad Commission, Christi Craddick has been a force for conservative progress who has helped increase efficiency and enact common sense policies at the Railroad Commission. She, along with fellow conservatives on the commission, have stood strong against misguided EPA regulations that harm the Texas oil and gas industry and with it the Texas economy. TCR stands with Christi Craddick, a proven leader who has worked effectively for conservative principles, efficiency and transparency at the Texas Railroad Commission.
Judge 185th Criminal District Court - Maritza Antu
Maritza Antu is an eleven-year veteran of the Harris County District Attorney's Office where she advanced up the ranks reaching the position of Chief Prosecutor. Maritza's experience includes every conceivable type of criminal prosecution from misdemeanors to capital murder. Antu is passionate about representing the interests of the extremely vulnerable, especially children, and that passion, along with her vast experience will no doubt be invaluable to victims seeking justice in the 185th Criminal District Court.
County Probate Court No. 2 - Ray Black
A probate lawyer with extensive experience in the areas of jurisdiction for Probate Court, Ray Black is ready from day one to handle one of the most complex dockets around. To be clear, this is no court one can learn on the job as too much is at stake for citizens that appear here. Black is a graduate of Baylor University and South Texas College of Law with honors. In law school, he was a member of the Law Review, and after graduation was a Briefing Attorney for the Court of Appeals, 2nd District. A well respected attorney in private practice for over twenty-three years there is no question he will be an outstanding jurist in Probate Court Number 2 and a real asset to our ticket in November.
List of 2018 Endorsements so far.
TCR on the Air
Red, White & Blue featuring TCR Editor Gary Polland and liberal commentator David Jones on Fridays at 7:30 pm on PBS Houston Channel 8, replaying Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 8, Monday at 11:30 pm on Channel 8.2 and on the web at www.houstonpublicmedia.org.
Red, White & Blue Returns January 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm
About Your Editor
Gary Polland is a long-time conservative and Republican spokesman, fund-raiser, and leader who completed three terms as the Harris County Republican Chairman. During his three terms, Gary was described as the most successful county Chairman in America by Human Events - The National Conservative Weekly. He is in his twenty-first year of editing a newsletter dealing with key conservative and Republican issues. The last sixteen years he has edited Texas Conservative Review. As a public service for the last 13 years, Gary has published election guides for the GOP primary, general elections and city elections, all with the purpose of assisting conservative candidates. Gary is also in his 15th year of co-hosting Red, White and Blue on PBS Houston, longest running political talk show in Texas history. Gary is a practicing attorney and strategic consultant. He can be reached at (713) 621-6335.